New Domain - Upcoming Changes!

Find news and updates about the Ashita project posted here.
atom0s
Site Admin

New Domain - Upcoming Changes!

Post by atom0s » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello everyone,

In the last week, I have been discussing some changes with others on Discord regarding Ashita's various sub-parts (wiki, bug tracker, website, forums, etc.) with the means to help slim some things down and remove some unneeded bulk. There are some set plans in motion currently with some other potential changes coming later on as well. I wanted to make this news post to help keep those whom don't visit our Discord in the loop.

New Domain Name

A huge thanks to a Discord user by the name Stephan for donating towards our new domain name.

Ashita will be moving from my personal website as a sub-domain (ashita.atom0s.com) and instead will now be found at: ashitaxi.com Because of this change, there will be a handful of things moving around to go with this change. Some things will be moved quicker than others, but I do hope to have this move done within the next few days (if not tonight depending on how much I hate myself).

During this time, I also plan to remove some old things, slim down some others and move some others to different hostings as a means to save space on my server.

Ashita's New Domains

Once the changes are finished and everything is up and running, Ashita's new home will be on: ashitaxi.com
All current parts of the website will be moving as well to new sub-domains of the new domain.
Here is a list of those changes as I have them planned for now:

Code: Select all

ashita.atom0s.com           -> ashitaxi.com
ashita.atom0s.com/forums/   -> forums.ashitaxi.com
ashita.atom0s.com/wiki2/    -> wiki.ashitaxi.com
ashita.atom0s.com/wiki/     -> wiki.ashitaxi.com/oldwiki/
update.ashita.atom0s.com    -> update.ashitaxi.com
git.ashita.atom0s.com       -> git.ashitaxi.com

Out With The Old...

Along with these changes, I plan to phase out some old things for new ones. As well as move some things to different locations.

wiki.ashitaxi.com / wiki.ashitaxi.com/oldwiki/ - The wiki has been greatly underused and is hosted on a wiki software that is less than friendly to get multiple contributors going. Because of this, I have begun working on porting the wiki over to a GitHub Pages website instead. This will be hosted on GitHub allowing for anyone to help contribute to the documentation of Ashita.

The new GitHub Pages setup makes use of their built-in Jekyll hosting via the Kramdown engine.
You can read more about Jekyll and Kramdown here:
https://jekyllrb.com/
https://kramdown.gettalong.org/

Once the wiki is finished being ported to this, it will then redirect to the new documentation site. I have about 75% of it done already, so that shouldn't be too much longer. When this is done as well, the old wiki will be gone too. There is no need for these to hang around anymore after the move.

Support Forums - The forums have seen very little traffic since the rise of Discord. Outside of hosting addons/plugins made by the community and AshitaCast profiles, the support forums are barely used. I plan to phase out the support portion of the forums entirely leaving only News/Announcements, addon/plugin releases and AshitaCast profiles. The other sub-sections will remain for things like the proxy project and the HD Texture mod though. All support for Ashita will instead be directed to the Discord server as there is no need for a forum that is barely used. Most of the support questions are AshitaCast related and are better asked in Discord anyway.

Issue Tracker / Bug Reports - Since Ashita's beginning, it has always self-hosted its source code, releases, and issue tracking / bug reports. While this works fine and all, it does separate the community some as it requires users to create yet another account on a site that they don't visit frequently enough to remember to return to it later on. Because of this, our issue tracker generally gets tickets for help with general problems, but the user that makes the report never comes back.

Instead of having the bug tracker for Ashita remain on our personal hosting, it will instead be moved to GitHub. There, we will track and cover all bugs and requests for Ashita, its launcher, its addons and its plugins all in one central tracker. Our current Git setup will remain where it is for Ashita's releases and hosting of src and projects for Ashita, but the trackers will all be disabled and instead people will be asked to use the GitHub tracker instead.

Possible Downtime..

Because of all these changes and moves, there may be some downtime with Ashita, its updater, the website/forums/etc. over the next week or so. DNS can take up to 48 hours to complete (although its generally instant) so some people may not notice the changes right away. I will be setting up redirects, where possible, to make all the old domains forward to the new ones with ease so things should hopefully have little to no downtime for everyone.

Please keep in mind that I cannot guarantee 100% uptime on any of this! So please bare with us while we are moving things around.

The best place to keep in touch and talk with us, get support, and anything else related to Ashita is in our Discord.
Join via this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/CfZu6Ya
Lead Ashita Developer

Want to donate to say thanks?
https://www.paypal.me/atom0s
atom0s
Site Admin

Re: New Domain - Upcoming Changes!

Post by atom0s » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Update on the move, all the domains have been adjusted and moved over. Old ones should automatically forward to the new one for the time being.

I have updated the Ashita launcher to also use the new urls. (Also added a Discord button to the top icons.)

Code: Select all

ashita.atom0s.com           -> ashitaxi.com                 -> Done.
ashita.atom0s.com/forums/   -> forums.ashitaxi.com          -> Done.
ashita.atom0s.com/wiki2/    -> wiki.ashitaxi.com            -> Done.
ashita.atom0s.com/wiki/     -> wiki.ashitaxi.com/oldwiki/   -> Done.
update.ashita.atom0s.com    -> update.ashitaxi.com          -> Done.
git.ashita.atom0s.com       -> git.ashitaxi.com             -> Done.
Lead Ashita Developer

Want to donate to say thanks?
https://www.paypal.me/atom0s